Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In
Brotherhood of St. Andrew

Brotherhood of St. Andrew

 

 

 

The Brotherhood of St. Andrew is an international ministry of men within the Anglican Communion with corporate offices in Louisville, Kentucky. The Brotherhood was incorporated by an Act of Congress in May 1908 by President Theodore Roosevelt. The Act states, "the sole object of said corporation shall be the spread of Christ's kingdom among men."

The Brotherhood of St. Andrew has been bringing men and youth to Jesus Christ since its founding on the cold, wintry day of Nov. 30, 1883 at St. James’ Episcopal Church in downtown Chicago. Homeless men were sleeping on the city’s downtown streets – and it was these men the fledgling Brotherhood wanted to save.

 

Today, the Brotherhood of St. Andrew is a worldwide ministry with chapters in Africa, Japan, the Philippines, Great Britain, Canada, Haiti and the United States. Its 4,192 members in 357 U.S. chapters perform myriad ministries, from building and operating a medical mission ship to sponsoring homes for women and children-in-need. Brothers are quick to respond with both manpower and money during national emergencies, such as Hurricane Sandy in 2012 and during the deadly year of 2013, when an explosion devastated the town of West, Texas, a tornado levelled Moore, Oklahoma and tsunami struck northern Japan.

 

"But we have lasted so long because men like to get together for support, to offer service projects - and for fellowship."

 

About the Brotherhood

Vision

To inspire, empower and equip men and boys to fulfill the Great Commission.


Mission

To bring men and youth to Christ. The Brotherhood endeavors to accomplish this mission through the threefold Disciplines of Prayer, Study and Service.

 

Disciplines of Prayer, Study and Service

Discipline of Prayer

To pray daily for the spread of Christ's kingdom, especially among men and youth, and for God's blessings upon the labors of the Brotherhood.

 

Discipline of Study
To study the Holy Scriptures regularly and the teachings of the Church, to attain a better understanding of how to follow Christ and bring others into his kingdom.

 

Discipline of Service
To make continuous efforts, week by week, to bring others nearer to Christ through his Church.

 

The Order's Relationship with the Brotherhood

Like The Order of the Daughters of the King®, the Brotherhood of St. Andrew started in the 1880s as a Sunday School class of young people seeking to become committed disciples. Rather than join a religious community or seek ordination, they discovered a third calling: to join together in prayer for and service to those around them.  These young men knew that Andrew brought his brother Peter to Jesus, and decided to follow Andrew’s example.

 

First, they would pray. Prayer was not new to them, “but the power of prayer and the meaning of prayer were new to them.”* Margaret Franklin later said the same thing about the Alpha chapter of The Order of the Daughters of the King®.

 

At St. James Cathedral in Chicago, the original Brothers agreed “ that each man should make an earnest effort each week to bring at least one man within the hearing of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.” (James L. Houghteling, “A Curious Start”)

 

The first Daughters adopted the same goal for women two years later in New York: “The Rule of Service is to make an earnest effort each week to bring at least one woman within the hearing of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, as set forth in the services of the Protestant Episcopal Church. ” (Lalla V. Moncure in The Royal Cross, December 1895, p.11.)

 

The Alpha chapter first drafted a constitution for The Order around 1888, the same year the Brotherhood of St. Andrew held its third annual convention in New York City. Several years later Mary Davenport  was assisted in starting the first Junior Daughters chapter by her husband, the Rev. Willard Davenport, who was an active member of the Brotherhood of St Andrew.

 

In our second century, connections between the Brothers and the Daughters continue. In 1993, Brothers Andrew in Uganda invited Daughters to form chapters there, just as they had invited Daughters to form chapters in Japan in the 1930s. During Triennial 2006, Daughters of the King and Brothers Andrew held a joint session in which they recited their re-dedication vows antiphonally.


For More Information on the Brotherhood
 

 

To learn more about the Brotherhood of Saint Andrew please see their website at

www.brothersandrew.net


The Order of the Daughters of the King®
101 Weatherstone Dr. Suite 870
Woodstock, GA 30188
Phone: (770)517-8552
Fax: (770)517-8066

Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal