Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In
Brotherhood of St. Andrew

Brotherhood of St. Andrew

The Brotherhood of St. Andrew is an international ministry of men within the Anglican Communion with corporate offices in Ambridge, Pennsylvania. The Brotherhood was incorporated by an Act of Congress in May 1908 by President Theodore Roosevelt.  The Act states, "the sole object of said corporation shall be the spread of Christ's kingdom among men".

 

About the Brotherhood

Vision

To inspire, empower and equip men and boys to fulfill the Great Commission.


Mission

To bring men and youth to Christ. The Brotherhood endeavors to accomplish this mission through the threefold Disciplines of Prayer, Study and Service.

 

Disciplines of Prayer, Study and Service

 

Discipline of Prayer

To pray daily for the spread of Christ's kingdom, especially among men and youth, and for God's blessings upon the labors of the Brotherhood.

 

Discipline of Study
To study the Holy Scriptures regularly and the teachings of the Church, to attain a better understanding of how to follow Christ and bring others into his kingdom.

 

Discipline of Service
To make continuous efforts, week by week, to bring others nearer to Christ through his Church.

 

The Order's Relationship with the Brotherhood

Like the Daughters of the King, the Brotherhood of St. Andrew started in the 1880s as a Sunday School class of young people seeking to become committed disciples. Rather than join a religious community or seek ordination, they discovered a third calling: to join together in prayer for and service to those around them.   These young men knew that Andrew brought his brother Peter to Jesus, and decided to follow Andrew’s example.

 

First, they would pray. Prayer was not new to them, “but the power of prayer and the meaning of prayer were new to them.”* Margaret Franklin later said the same thing about the Alpha chapter of the Daughters of the King.

 

At St. James Cathedral in Chicago, the original Brothers agreed “ that each man should make an earnest effort each week to bring at least one man within the hearing of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.” (James L. Houghteling, “A Curious Start”)

 

The first Daughters of the King adopted the same goal for women two years later in New York: “The Rule of Service is to make an earnest effort each week to bring at least one woman within the hearing of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, as set forth in the services of the Protestant Episcopal Church. ” (Lalla V. Moncure in The Royal Cross, December 1895, p.11.)

 

The Alpha chapter first drafted a constitution for the Order around 1888, the same year the Brotherhood of St. Andrew held its third annual convention in New York City. Several years later Mary Davenport  was assisted in starting the first Junior Daughters chapter by her husband, the Rev. Willard Davenport, who was an active member of the Brotherhood of St Andrew.

 

In our second century, connections between the Brothers and the Daughters continue.  In 1993, Brothers Andrew in Uganda invited Daughters of the King to form chapters there, just as they had invited Daughters to form chapters in Japan in the 1930s. During Triennial 2006, Daughters of the King and Brothers Andrew held a joint session in which they recited their re-dedication vows antiphonally.


For More Information on the Brotherhood
 

 

To learn more about the Brotherhood of Saint Andrew please see their website at

www.brothersandrew.net

 

The Order of the Daughters of the King®
101 Weatherstone Dr. Suite 870
Woodstock, GA 30188
Phone: (770)517-8552

Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal